Share It

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Front Office Changes/Additions?

Now that the draft is done, it's technically the start of the scouting
year. While GMs are most often hired in January, a lot of staff changes
happen now - May.

New GM Dave Gettleman is a pretty open guy (as is coach Ron Rivera),
but the team in general remains a pretty limited vessel of information.
So, I don't expect much info on anything, even if a lot did happen.
It's actually quite tough to even access a full list of scouting for the
Panthers, and it's certainly not on their website. A look from a
magazine I saw in the offseason did suggest more scouts than I expected,
but absolutely nothing on the level that the Giants have.

Gettleman has said that he likes the team he has under him. I don't
think that's changed, so I doubt there will really be firings. But, if
there's ability, I'd look to see some additions.

*I'd specifically see about adding two scouts (assuming it hasn't been
done, with the secrecy) to replace Ken Dorsey, who's moved to the
coaching staff. Dorsey was a pro scout, and replacing him would give
the team four.

*I'd add two more national scouts to the college staff.

*As I said when I last talked organization, I'd add an assistant GM,
though I don't know how likely that is.

*and while it appears that Brandon Beane (administration) and Rob
Rodgers (cap/contracts) have been investing time in new metrics, I'd
definitely hire a full-on Information guy, a sabermetrician to work with
the pro staff. The NY Giants have a guy for that, plucked from
basketball, who does nothing but analysis. Agents and players are
starting to use it - so while it's an effective tool for the field, it's
getting to be a bigger part of the off-field equation as well.

If you've read my past rantings on the front office, I haven't changed
my tune. I'm always for more scouting, more information. So hopefully,
if any changes are made, it's in that direction. And if it's going to
happen, now's the time.
Post a Comment